After lunch session June 11, 2012, PDI Conference, Indy
Basic principles: Respect of children and families and what they bring to the classroom
Images of child
- Have rights and responsibilities at birth
Group Activity: at table we used natural materials to design our image of the child
Images of teacher
- The RELATIONSHIP between the adult and the children
- Focused on the children and what they would like to do
- Teacher also as learner
Images of the Parent
- Parent is the first teacher
- Parents are a part of the classroom
- Parents are resources
- Parents are seen as partners, advocates and collaborators
Group Activity: they are throwing a ladybug to generate words/descriptions of parents: involved, unique, busy, teamwork, willing, supportive, overwhelmed, knowledgeable, survivors, experts, competent, policy makers, resourceful, first teacher, skilled, searching, involved, puzzled, loving, a apiece of the puzzle, advocates, strong, multi-taskers, passionate and trusting.
Image of the Family
- Respecting parents as their child’s first teacher:
- What are their expectations?
- What are the family’s goals?
- What is their history?
Meaningful family involvement:
Are they valuable experiences?
- Parent committees
- What resources do they bring to the table?
Respect the value of families
- New perspectives
- Diversity and culture
- Unique communities
Environment becomes the third teacher
- Room set up
- Design and use of the space
- Kinds of materials
Communication bet. children and tchr/child
They showed pics of the classrooms. Before and after pics… many of the before pics showed that teachers have too much stuff!!!
· They started the journey by beginning to implement the Project approach
· Then the staff got trained more on the Reggio approach
· They have 100 classrooms
· 17 classrooms volunteered to be the Pilot Program for the Reggio implementation – she felt that obtaining volunteers to lead the way would lead to more buy-in. These were called the Pioneers.
· Then they had licensing give tech assistance as to what they can/cannot have in the space – licensing gave some guidelines
· Started with workshops about 1) Image of Child and 2) Image of Parent, then 3) documentation
· Viewed 100 languages exhibit
· Staff received more in-depth Reggio training
I like that the training came BEFORE the purchasing of the stuff
The following year their Reggio Study Group grew from 17 to 67!!
The process needs to be unique to your program – ordering the stuff from the catalog will not make you reggio!!
You weren’t doing it wrong, you were doing it the way you knew how…